Total Pageviews

Friday, February 15, 2013

It's Histree....

There's lots to be thankful for today.
It's Friday.
It's the last day of testing for my students.
We have a WEEK off next week.
I have candy in my desk from Valentine's Day.
I sold almost every extra box of Girl Scout cookies I ordered.
My girl had History (Histree) Day today and she was the best red-headed Pocahontas I've ever seen.
Side bar: So the reason I call it Histree is because of my Daddy. Here's a funny story. I am from South Georgia. Sooowwth Gaawga ya'll. So my Daddy always like to tell Red stories about "histree"- history for you folks who like unsweetened tea. He and my sweet stepmom traveled up north a few months ago and visited Gettysburg. So my Daddy brought back a rock from the battle grounds. I am pretty sure that's a felony. So don't tell anyone. But anyway... He gave one to my nephew- who is 11 and loves Histree. (He LOVED it and showed it to his friends.) He also gave one to Red. She thought it was....a rock. She didn't get it. She didn't see the "histree" behind it. So, I always think of that rock and laugh. I picture my Daddy telling Red, "Let me tell you a story- it's Histree you see.." and Red just rolling her eyes. 
As I was watching her present her speech on Pocahontas, I heard the quiver in her voice, and I could tell she was nervous. I am sure it was hard to do, in front of her friends and all of their parents. There was even one of the ladies from the Office of Development there taking pictures while she did her performance. 

I just prayed as she walked up there. I prayed that God would give her the confidence she needed...
the confidence that it's ok to forget a few words or stumble a little....
The confidence that God will catch her when she falls.
That she's not a bad person for making a mistake.
That she doesn't have to be perfect.

Her Daddy and I were sitting there cheesing it up like she was doing her Inauguration Speech. Just so proud of the little lady she's becoming. Proud that God is working in her life. Side note: I am absolutely positive that Pocahontas had an arrow quiver exactly like Red used today... zebra-striped duct tape was all the rage in 1615. Have a sweet weekend- 
Pocahontas' Mama....

No comments:

Post a Comment