Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ever felt Unglued?

Happy March, folks....
Time is flying by. Easter is right around the corner, then Spring Break, then the countdown to Summer Break is on. Since I am a teacher...I have a soft spot for the last one of course.

As the windy, unpredictable weather of March comes and goes...I find myself snuggling up with good books- and like I said in my last post I would be giving you some more book recommendations. 

My latest good read came to me while looking through the shelves at the library. I actually liked the title first. Then when I saw the cover I knew this book was probably speaking my language. I was in the "Self-Help" section...Yes, I said "Self-Help". I used to think that was something I wouldn't read but I have found SOME books to be very encouraging. Lately I have found myself needing more motivation and encouragement. It seems to be very easy to be my "own worst critic" and be too hard on myself. Anyone relate? As a working mom and wife, I tend to try and juggle lots of hats in the air. I then find myself falling short of my own expectations (of course- who doesn't?) and begin to struggle with self-doubt. So...I landed on this book...



Whoa...this girl is good...and I love the cover. I have SO felt like screaming into my purse. She has written other books, and I WILL be checking them out this weekend. First, let me give you my little review.  Lysa TerKeurst is a mom of 5 (yes, 5) children and faces many of the same fears and insecurities I have. She talks in an open and honest way that really makes you feel like she's just a girlfriend you could chat with...
Here's a quick run-down, in my own words, of what she discusses on dealing with emotions and feelings:
Women who explode then shame themselves
Women who explode then shame others
Women who stuff (their emotions) and build barriers
Women who stuff (their emotions) but collect retaliation rocks

So here's a really good quote from the book for you:
"Feelings are indicators, not dictators." Lysa TerKeurst
Love. It. Writing it on an index card tonight.

Relate to anything there? I am telling you- she is good. There were times while reading this book I thought she was reading my mind. But the best part of all? She uses biblical principles throughout to teach and reinforce what she's saying. So she's not just blowing hot air, people. 
Here are some other titles she's written: 
Made to Crave
Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl

(I am not getting paid by her- just a fan of this book.)

So maybe you have it all together. Maybe you never feel discouraged, overworked, insecure, overwhelmed, or compare yourself to others. Maybe you never raise your voice at your children, ever. Maybe you always cook balanced, nutritious meals from your fully organic garden in your manicured yard. Well...if so- I am proud and give me a call. I need some advice. If you are anything like me, you might just like this book.

So that's all for this time friends...hoping you find a purse big enough to scream in...if you need it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!! Every which way I turn lately there is something about being ones-own-worst enemy-type-theme. Hmmmm, need to dig deeper I do believe. Thanks for the book suggestion and have a great rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete